For newcomers to the city, Cape Town travel can be daunting as you try and find the best way to get around this vibrant and busy city. Many visitors do not think to organise things such as car hire before leaving on their trip to Cape Town, and when they arrive in the city they realise that public transport is not always the most reliable way to get around.
Some helpful travel tips for navigating Cape Town include the following:
• Hiring a car is one of the best ways to get around the city, with short-term as well as longer-term rentals on offer. Scooter hire is also an option (especially in summer!).
• Do your homework before visiting, to get an idea of Cape Town’s various landmarks, attractions, suburbs and facilities – this will make it easier to get around when you arrive.
• While public transport is improving, it is not always the most reliable way to travel – private cabs are always on offer however, and are best for short trips in and around the city area.
• Be careful with valuables, and try not to walk around with items such as cameras in plain sight. Even though crime is vastly over-emphasised in Cape Town, it is still better to be safe and not take chances.
• Consider the Atlantic Seaboard as your base in Cape Town, as this area is central with a host of attractions nearby. You will also be able to enjoy the many excellent Camps Bay accommodation options in this area.